Physically Describe the Yralen

Join in the Flash Fiction Fun! Forums Lost Earth Physically Describe the Yralen

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  The Boortean Ambassador 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ron Sparks
    Keymaster

Caleb – you’ve written the Yralen in more detail than the rest of us in your Quarantine story. Can you take a stab at a physical description here?

Height, weight, shape, limbs, physical characteristics, etc.

Caleb
    Participant

I’ve been thinking a bit about the implications of the Yralen being vulnerable to EMP. Perhaps the reason for this is that they are partly or completely cybernetic? Is there some other plausible explanation? If they are cybernetic, they could be highly variable in appearance, with specialized types serving different roles.

Ron Sparks
    Keymaster

Possibly, and I hadn’t considered that yet. I was thinking they had a sensory organ that was tied directly to their neocortex that acted like a sort of “regulator” for bodily functions. One highly susceptible to EMP, but also had an evolutionary advantage…..like knowing ahead of time when the next mini-nova was going to occur on the their home world sun so they could burrow into the ground to avoid it.

A mini-nova that human have to deal with as well, but we just haven’t written about it yet.

Also – I am in the middle of writing my next Lost Earth story (last one for now so I can move on to the new challenge) and I have dropped this much description on the Yralen:

The manacled human, towering over the Yralen on the bridge, was roughly shoved forward. Seen from Yralen eyes, he was hideous. For starters he was a he. Always. The males were born male and could not regender without hormone injections and surgery. The thought of being gender locked was unsettling. Yralen spent most of their adult life in their asexual state, but could consciously force gender on themselves when mating season arrived.

Further, the human was too big and bipedal, like the dangling simians from their homeworld. Instead of four reasonable, symmetrical, three-fingered hands, Humans had only two five-fingered hands.

Kre-Mal could shudder over the hideousness of Humans all day, but he was on a mission. He ignored his revulsion and stepped close to the human.

So – short. Not bipedal. Four hands. Three fingers, like a claw machine, on each hand. That’s about where I stop right now.

Caleb
    Participant

Sounds good so far, except for one small point. I just realized from the name you gave the Yralen, which is similar to the name Kre-Ta in Quarantine, that I may not have been clear enough about who Kre-Ta is. He is the Tripodian commander, not Yralen. Re-reading that section, it could plausibly be read either way, but my intention was for Kre-Ta to be on the Tripodian side.

Ron Sparks
    Keymaster

Agh – I’m stoopid. I missed that. And I was being all clever turning the “Kre-” into a title. OK – I’ll fix it. ūüôā

Good description. I could spend more time describing Mamat and D’mala, who are humanoid as were Z’lar and N’lar, albeit blue et al. I like the idea of coming up with titles, and I also thought the Kre sounded like one. I need to work on that aspect, too.

As to the EMP influence. . .we are electric (remember “I sing the body electric” from the band, Weather Report?, based on a SF short story, I believe). Humans are affected by impulses, so I would suppose that other species were/are as well. Some of us – including the aliens – have altered hearing. The cybernetic aspect is good. I remember reading up on that years ago and a bit recently. Human+ et al.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.